Buying Tablet made Simple - What Buying Guides will not Tell You.



Visit http://speclabz.com for Tablet selection Tool based on attributes and the One Drop Down All Consumer Electronics Market Tool.




The specifications criteria for Tablet is similar to the Laptop as applicable with few variations. We'll discuss them as below. 



1. Tablet Processor

The critical factor for Performance is the Processor Core Frequency, number of cores and threads. Check on the RAM storage capacity. Tablets with RAM upto 4GB are available. Upgradability could not be an option as the RAMs are usually soldered on the Tablet Mother Board unlike laptop which has slots to plug in the RAMs. The cache is limited in size and L3 Cache may not be there unlike Laptops. Speaking only about the Tablets , A multiple core Processor with higher frequency, with higher cache and RAM size would always have more fire power relatively.



2. Tablet Battery

Tablets come with Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer batteries. Li-Polymer is thinner and flexible and Li-Ion is rigid and thicker. Thin Tablets usually contain a Li-Polymer battery. Li-Polymey battery is actually a Li-Ion Polymer battery with no major additional energy driving capacity. There is no additional advantage other than being thinner and lighter when compared to a Li-Ion battery but would increase the overall cost of your tablet.


3. Tablet Connectivity

All the ports we discussed in considerations for buying Laptops are applicable for tablets aswell with the difference in Port sizes. The ports are usually mini or micro ports with size much lesser size than the normal ones. Serial Ports like Micro and Mini USB, Mini Display Port or Micro HDMI each with specific generations and transfer speeds are supported. Additional support for standards like Mobile High Definition Link (MHL) and USB Type C needs to be checked. With MHL you may directly connect your tablet with HD Television when playing multimedia. USB Type C is very versatile and allows direct charging of the tablet by televisions or monitors. USB Type C has a reduced connector size and can connect to any host( PC USB Type A connector) supporting any USB standard. Prior to USB C standard, the devices usually had a USB Type B or AB connector. USB C is one connector that would probably replace all existing USB connectors on your devices while keeping the underlying technology like USB2/USB3/USB3.1 intact.
Wireless, Bluetooth and option for SIM slot needs to be looked at based on the requirement.



4. Tablet Display

The principles in selecting the display remains same as mentioned in the laptop section. Clarity of picture is the key. A 10 inch display with same clarity as a 7 inch Tablet display is better. Clarity depends on the Pixel count and the proximity of the pixels from each other for a given display size. Pixel Density that is PPI or Pixel per Inch would provide this information. In general a 2048 X 1536 pixels is better resolution than 1920x1080 pixels and 1280 X 800 displays. Color combinations and quality can play their role in selection. Higher color combinations essentially means higher digital RGB combinations a display can support. The Tablet displays are usually Capacitive that provides multi-touch capability and can also be used outdoors.


5. Tablet Sensor Ability

The different sensors available in the Tablets are Gyroscope, Accelerometer, Ambient Light Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Barometer, Temperature Sensor and Finger Print Sensor. Each sensor serves a specific purpose, let's discuss each one in short.

Gyroscope and Accelerometer

Have you noticed how the tablet responds while gaming or while rotating the screen or taking certain actions when shaken.The responsible sensors for this purpose are Accelerometer and Gyroscope. Accelerometer provides sensing Linear acceleration based on vibration from a constant position and Gyroscope senses orientation based on rotation. While Accelerometer is commonly found in tablets, Gyroscope is a must for Gaming tablets.

   

Ambient Light Sensor

Controls the brightness based on different light scenerios, the auto mode for brightness in the tablet


Proximity Sensor

Takes certain actions based on the proximity of the tablet from nearby objects.


Barometer

This sensor helps you when there is a sudden change in the atmospheric pressure in certain scenerios, say when you are trekking to higher altitudes. Tablet with GPS would just do that, but would keep your battery draining.


Finger Print Sensor

Enhances the security of the tablet from unwanted accessibility.


6. Tablet Camera

The Primary camera is mainly used for Photos and video recording. Sensor type, Sensor size, Image Resolution, Video Resolution, Frames per second specification of the camera needs to be looked into. Larger sensors with less pixel density and low resolution provide better image quality. Image Resolution specifications provide information on the number of pixels available for clicking photos and Video resolution provides the pixels available for videos. Information about the number of Frames per second for taking videos is important. Features like Digital Zoom, Scene Mode and Auto-Focus can be looked at.
The secondary camera is for Video conferencing and gesture recognition provided with the same specifications as the Primary camera.

Other specifications like Internal Storage, maximum external storage supported, size and weight of the tablet would play their role in arriving at an appropriate decision.

Comments

  1. Nice tips. Learned a lot especially since am planning to buy a new tablet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John.. Glad you liked it.Here is the Tablet Selection tool to help pinpoint. http://speclabz.com/US/Tablets.html & http://speclabz.com/AllElectronicsinOneDropDownTool.html

      Delete
  2. Good detailed article. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very detailed..
    Thanks for all the info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though I am not tablet person, but for sure tablets are trendy now days. Its mid-way between laptop and mobile phone and very handy most of the time esp during travelling. Thanks for sharing your purchase guide

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a good and thorough article. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. May I disagree a bit with the processor and RAM part? I wouldn't concentrate too much on those numbers especially if you're considering models with different operating systems. For example running Windows 10 in a tablet requires significantly more power than running iOS. Also the processor are usually unique to every brand and not always easy to compare.

    Additionally I'd add the operating system to your list and just to mention about the connectivity - it's a lot more than just connecting to TV with a cable. There are things like Apple TV, Chromecast and Miracast to solve those issues. And also, you can connect a lot more things to some tablets. Like SD-card readers and VGA projectors to iPads and USB to surface pro.

    Okay list but I'd change some things though. :)

    Nora / http://dreamerachiever.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comment Nora. Please see OS and Processor Core Frequency and number of cores are two different things. You can run any OS ( specified by the manufacturer) or any software on top of high speed cores, cache size and RAM that forms the base of your system in consideration. Yes, wireless connectivity options need to be looked at. SD Card readers should be common.Glad to see the addition of VGA Projector connection..thank you

      Delete
  7. Wow, this is useful info to have. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So good to know! These are really good tips. I am always lost when I enter a pc store. Now I know a bit more :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing! I usually go to the internet when it comes to picking out the right gadget because if I asked my friends, most of them would base it on the aesthetics. lol.You made a really detailed article :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super helpful since when I buy gadgets I only check out camera quality lol. Great article!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know that there are so many factors you need to keep in mind when buying a tablet. I have an old Ipad which needs replacing sometimes soon, your guide will definitely help.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very detailed, very especific and very helpful! Loved all the tips, specially the battery and the connectivity ones that might help me when I have trouble my tablet :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. explained very well, you've mentioned small little things, that gonna be very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a Webdeveloper and for me Tablets and Phones are very important for development reasons. I really do not like a Tablet but i have to get one anyway.
    Think it will be much easier now. Thx a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really useful will have to bookmark it for when I'm looking for a new tablet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the tips. This is really helpful especially that mom is planning to buy a tablet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These guidelines are really helpful when buying a gadget you're investing in to.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice article. I'll bear it in mind for when I'm in the market for a tablet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good article. Today I bought Yoga tab 3 plus. Very happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been wanting a tablet for quite some time so I can do work when I am travelling and these are great specifications to know. Thank you for your advice :) x

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great buyers guide to tablets! Our iPad .. I swear .. is on it's last legs. Bookmarking your post .. I'm sure we'll need it soon! ps: My goodness are there a lot of things to consider when deciding. I had no idea

    ReplyDelete
  22. Some great tips on buying a good tablet! My hubby is a gadget nerd and he is fond of exploring new devices! Though I'm happy with my I-pad!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I never thought about all of these things when purchasing a Tablet as I focused on price. But I was just buying one for my daughter which was a bit different. If I get one for me in the near future I will have to think about all of these different things.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great post! My parents want to buy a tablet for my lil bro so i'll direct them to your post. I have bookmarked it already! Great specifications outlined here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is interesting to know. I am actually searching for a new tablet, as my old Ipad has lived his life and it's almost at the end of it. I didn't know there were so many things to look at when choosing a tablet.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Will definitely read this again when will look forward getting a new tablet! In need for one haha but only using it for watching TV shows as it's more 'compact' ish :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks a lot! I'm not planning on buying a tablet anytime soon, but I will definitely get back to it once I decide it's time to get that piece of technology into use! I've got some old tablet sitting in my drawer for years not unused, about time I upgrade it and start using it I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are some great tips! I'll definitely keep them in mind when I start shopping for a tablet!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great tips and advice on what to look for when buying a tablet. I have a chrome book and I find it very useful ...I actually prefer it to my laptop. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Touch Mobile Phone Market at your Finger Tips.

Digital Compact Camera Market at your Finger Tips

Television Market at Your Finger Tips

What you need to know about your Mobile Phone & before buying a New One

8 points every consumer should Know before buying any Consumer Electronic Product.

World Business Laptop Market at Your Fingertips

Buying Wireless Router made Simple - What Buying Guides will not tell you.

Buying Digital Compact Camera made Simple

Small Business Laptop Market at Your Fingertips

Gaming Laptop Market at Your Fingertips