Buying Digital Compact Camera made Simple

 

1.Lens Aperture & F Number.


One of the important considerations in camera selection is the F-Number range supported by the Lens. This number determines how well the camera is able to accumulate Light for a clear bright Picture and how close from the object the camera is able to resolve focus. The smaller the F-Number, the higher the aperture and higher the light entering into the camera for a brighter capture. A smaller F-Number would do really good for Portraits where the clear focus is on the subject. This would mean a good focus on the subject and a blurry background image. The reverse, that is a smaller aperture would leave less light in and would capture good background image like that needed for Landscapes. Smaller F-Number Lens would usually come with a higher price tag. However, the best choice is to select a wide range of F-Number supported Lens.








2. Camera Shutter Speed.


This determines how well the Camera is able to resolve moving objects like a racing car. The higher the settable Shutter Speed, that is lower the shutter closing time, the faster the instant of a capture. This number need to be looked at depending on the actual application of the camera. This along with the Frames per second (FPS) would help in determining how well the camera is able to capture moving objects.



3. Lens ISO Number.


The basic functionality of the camera is to convert light from the image to electrical signals with a device like CCD (Charged Coupled Device) for example, convert these light photons into Electrical Signals and process the signals Digitally. ISO number is the ability of the camera to capture light, but making the picture brighter as required. Higher ISO numbers would be useful in darker conditions making it more sensitive to light. The range of ISO sensitivity numbers supported by the camera needs to be looked at for a wider picture portfolio.



4. Pixel size.


The clarity of the image depends on how close the pixels are more each other that is the resolution and more pixels would certainly make the event clear and visible as it should be. The industry has swiftly transformed to FHD and 4K Resolution increasing the overall content of Image Capture redefining Color, Contrast and Clarity but also increasing the overall size of the picture itself demanding more memory for image and video recording, while also taking more time for transfers.



5. Camera Communication.


Ports like Micro HDMI, USB2, USB3 , Wifi and NFC capability for direct transfers and GPS capability can be looked at for specific applications. In general, these ports would let you connect the camera to TV directly via HDMI or share pictures to the laptop via Wifi etc.



6. Camera with Attachable Lens Option.


Mirrorless camera with attachable lenses with different Aperture and F-Number are available with additional cost. In short, this option provides flexibility for picturing in different scenerios with the same Camera body.

Maximum Optical zoom and Digital Zoom feature of the camera are other features that can be looked at. Digital zoom would just expand the picture after being taken compromising on the resolution of the overall pixels used for capture.


The Ports that matter.


USB.

USB1 or Low Speed USB.

This is essentially a serial bus for connecting a mouse to the PC and runs at 1.5 Megabits per second that is about 1.5 Million bits/second.

USB1.1 or Full Speed USB.

This bus connects your keyboard to the PC and runs at 12Mbps. 


USB2.0.

Backward compatible with USB1 and USB1.1 runs at 480 Mbps and this bus is rightly termed as High Speed USB.
So what is backward compatibility? In simple terms the same USB2.0 port on your PC can connect to a pen drive running at 480Mbps, a keyboard at 12Mbps and a mouse at 1.5 Mbps.
 

Enter USB3.0

Backward compatible with USB2.0, USB1.1 and USB1 and running at 5 Gigabits per second, that's about 10 times faster than USB2.0. So a USB3.0 port on your PC also known as a host port can be connected to a USB3.0 pen drive, USB2.0 Pen drive, USB1.1 Keyboard and USB1 Mouse. This backward compatibility is only true for host ports like that on a PC. However, a USB3.0 pen drive that is a device port would not connect with a USB2.0 Host port on the PC at 5Gbps. 


Next comes USB3.1

Host Port is backward compatible and can be connected with USB3.0, USB2.0 and USB1.1 devices and has a data rate of 10Gbps.
However a USB3.1 device might not connect with a USB3.0 port at 10Gbps. 


And the ubiquitous USB C Port.

The beauty of USB C is the small sized connector yet with higher number of pins in the connector with multiple serial lanes, resulting in an overall increase in speeds up to 10Gbps while also catering to providing a higher wattage of power up to 100 Watts at 20 Volts to devices. The multiple serial lanes can also carry HDMI and Display Port Signals and USB C is backward compatible with all USB standards with additional adapters making it truly ubiquitous. 



HDMI.

Carry all video and audio on serial copper lanes. HDMI does exactly that. But what's evolving the standard? The need of picture clarity and color has increased the pixel quantity and resolution of the display. Higher the Display (usually termed as HDMI Sink) pixels and higher the resolution, higher is the amount of data that need to be transferred from any HDMI Source to that Display sink. And why not? In practical terms, you would clearly see the difference between VGA and HDMI as HDMI carries much more Mbps per second compared to VGA making the picture quality much clear and crisper. Given an option to connect VGA or HDMI, always choose HDMI for a better visual experience.


How does HDMI do it?

HDMI carries three pairs of data lanes each at a specific frequency all adding up to a much higher rate and all synchronized to a single clock pair. So your HDMI connector has multiple serial data pairs and a clock pair along with Power and Ground pins connected to the Printed Circuit Board of the product in discussion.

So let's look at different speeds, HDMI caters to and start with the minimum ones contained in any product now a days. 



HDMI 1.4

The clock speed that we discussed above is driven at 340 MHz and 10 bits of data per serial lane is transferred at 340 MHz making the overall speed per lane at 3400Mbps. This multiplied by three pairs make it a total of 10.2 Gbps of data transfer between Source and Sink. This enables to carry 3D data and much deeper color bit per pixel as required by the sink Display. To make it simple, we've left out the 8b/10b encoding overhead applied to 10.2 Gbps, making the overall data at about 8Gbps. 


HDMI 2.0

The clock speed now increases to 600 MHz and 10 bits of data per serial lane is transferred at 600 MHz making the overall speed per lane at 6000Mbps that is 6Gbps. This multiplied by three pairs make it a total of 18 Gbps of data transfer between Source and Sink. This enables to carry 3D data at 60Hz and much deeper color bit per pixel as required by the sink Display.

Display that is Sink device specs need to be looked into before arriving at any conclusion. 4K X 2K display resolution at 60 Hz usually goes well with HDMI 2.0. It's good to have HDMI 2.0 on your Source Product, but does the Display device support HDMI 2.0 is what is to be addressed before arriving at a decision. Another key thing is the interface connector itself, that can range from HDMI-A to HDMI-E and can be a Micro or a Mini HDMI form factor. 



HDMI 2.1

The new age gamers should look at the coming up standard HDMI2.1 that would enable 4K X 2K, 8K and higher resolution with higher refresh rates up to 120 Hz.




Visit http://speclabz.com for the One Drop Down All Consumer Electronics Tool for Digital Compact Camera and one click buy from Amazon

Comments

  1. I've been thinking about purchasing a new camera. This is some great advice! Thank so much for educating me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking to buy a new camera and these tips and advice on what to look out for is ust what I need

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a track coach and try to film my athletes. Apparently Shutter Speed is my problem. Thanks for the Info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! I'm thinking about getting a compact camera as well and what's good thing about the technology today is that they can have as good quality as a bulky DSLR. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips. Was thinking about purchasing a mirrorless camera.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the info. I have been thinking about buying a new camera and this info will come in handy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am bookmarking this post for future reference. I really need to improve the settings on my camera, especially the aperture, the shutter speed, and the pixel size.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post is detailed and useful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post is really helpful. I love digital camera. However, I am still trying to learn the techy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wasn't able to think about these things when I bought myself a DSLR last November 2015. What I didn't like about the DSLR is it's too heavy and bulky that's why I sold it last year. LOL. I'm now reconsidering buying a compact camera since it's lighter and slimmer. Thanks for these tips! I'll be taking note of them when I plan to buy one soon!

    xo, Wandering Ella

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for this! I never know what to look for when I get a camera so this comes in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the amazing tips! I always have trouble with figuring out which camera I should buy when it's time to upgrade my digital camera. Your tips are helpful and I took down some notes that I am sure will help me the next time I go buy a camera.
    ~Crissy
    www.whimsicalfawn.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great information! I have a DSLR camera and am trying to learn how to use it properly so I found this very helpful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been thinking about purchasing a new camera, these tips are quite helpful to choose the best camera for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in the market for getting a new camera. These tips are so helpful in narrowing down the search!

    -Pri
    www.paintthetownchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am really in need of a good camera. As nice as the phone is, and I have gotten some pretty great photos with them, I really don't have to waste all my battery and storage space using the phone while I am out and about taking pictures. Thank you for all the good advice here about what to look for in a good camera.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a great post! Very detailed and informative. I will refer back to it when I'm in the market for a new camera.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I needed detailed post like this. We need good camera and your article is very useful. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  19. I feel like this is a post that needed to be written for a while, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a perfect resource post! I am a major beginner and have to keep going back to remind myself what everything is. Thanks for putting it in one place that I'm now going to pin!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A little technical but it's an awesome guide for people who would like to update their cameras and buy one that's compatible with a lot of devices.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's always awesome to learn more about cameras especially now that we're pretty much all digital. This post is very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This will actually help me out alot. Im looking to buy a dslr to record my youtube video with so ill definitely take these tips into consideration!

    ReplyDelete
  24. i wish i had read this before i bought my camera! nice tips!:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This came at the perfect time! I have been trying to get to know my DSLR better this week and this helps tremendously!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would love to buy a compact camera for vlogging. This post was really helpful with what to look out for.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I did the research online before I bought the camera for my fashion blog. These were some of the things I was interested in. Great article and awesome tips!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great advice, this can help anyone looking to buy a new camera. We are actually looking for one ourselves! Nice tips.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great post, wish I had known this before purchasing mine..the lens does not do at all what I need it to...so need new lenses !

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a lot of great info, my husband bought me my last new camera, but for my next one, I am going to have to study this!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've been looking for a new camera for on the go. I hate to bring my expensive DSLR out when something smaller and less expensive will do the job. Thank-you for letting me know all of the different things I should be looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  32. really in need of a good camera, so this makes it easy for me to have seen a good one with quality specs too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is really good info! I always seem to need to go back to basics, and this is really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have a DSLR but a compact camera would be handy and less bulky to take away with me. Plus I would love to learn to take better photos, that is a goal of mine x

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am in the market for a camera upgrade. I have been looking at the Canon Rebel T3, and I chose this because of advertisements that I see. I don't have any idea of its specs. I will do my research and refer to your post so I know what I'm getting. Thank you so much for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Another really informative and interesting read. I recently bought a new camera and did a lot of research before buying it, turns out I could have just read this!

    ReplyDelete
  37. These tips are really helpful for buying a camera.My current camera is a bit old version which I bought few years ago.So,It is time to buy a new one.I keep in mind these tips..

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great tips! All these camera settings are a bit overwhelming for a newbie. Thanks for explaining so well!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This was SUPER helpful!! I've had my DSlR for a while and still haven't mastered it. I'll be trying these tips out tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow, there is a lot to learn about taking good photos. This is a really neat summary of what is important, good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great tips, thank you! I'm a photographer myself and often people ask me during workshops about things like this, I'll bookmark it now and sent to my clients, this is very well summaried!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'll keep tab of your post. I have been planning on buying a camera this year, preferably before our trip this September. This will come in handy for me!

    ReplyDelete
  43. i need to invest in a good camera.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Helped me so much!!!great post and great website!!thanxxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Touch Mobile Phone Market at your Finger Tips.

Digital Compact Camera Market at your Finger Tips

Television Market at Your Finger Tips

What you need to know about your Mobile Phone & before buying a New One

8 points every consumer should Know before buying any Consumer Electronic Product.

World Business Laptop Market at Your Fingertips

Buying Wireless Router made Simple - What Buying Guides will not tell you.

Small Business Laptop Market at Your Fingertips

Gaming Laptop Market at Your Fingertips