8 points every consumer should Know before buying any Consumer Electronic Product.




So you compared all the key Product specifications from multiple manufacturers, read technical reviews to your satisfaction and are all ready and set to make the purchase.
Here we discuss the many other key points that may have a tendency to be overlooked at the time of Purchase.

1. Warranty.

Every electronics product usually come with warranty for a limited period of time as fixed by the manufacturer. The warranty defines services that are offered by the manufacturer under damage conditions not caused by the negligence of user for a stipulated period of time. This can either mean repair or complete replacement of the product by the manufacturer/Retailer in warranty period. The replacement of the parts and the repair service offered is completely free of charge for the end user. Warranty can be Local, that is specific to a region or a country or International, that is valid in multiple countries and have different inclusive price tags.
 

2. Extended Warranty.

Many Electronic products come with additional warranty option at an additional price tag. For example, a laptop with a base warranty of one year can be covered with an additional warranty of two years this making the overall warranty of three years. These options give much flexibility to the user to opt for at the time of purchase itself.
 

3. Turn Around Time (TAT).

TAT is the maximum time, the manufacturer or the vendor/Retailer takes to return the repaired or the completely replaced product in warranty period. The Turn Around Time is inclusive of the shipments involved from/to the user and the manufacturer/Retailer facility or a Third Party Repair company as suggested by the Retailer. It's important to check TAT options at the time of purchase as this could just be a waiting period for you until the product is repaired or replaced and returned back. Most of the Third Party Repair facility has something called a Buffer, that calls out for immediate replacement under warranty conditions reducing the overall TAT itself.
 

4. Obsolescence and End of Life.

Interested in a Product released few years back and you still think it as a good option to go for, considering the reduced price tag? It's better to check if the Product in consideration is not in the End of Life category and will not be termed as Obsolescent in the coming time soon. Even if you do, check the terms and conditions for Warranty and Support after Warranty is expired. Many times, the Product would be obsolescent, yet support from the manufacturer would be available in terms of repair services.
 

5. Power Consumption.

Did you know? Every Electronic Product comes with a Typical or Maximum Power Consumption and a Quiescent Power consumption specification. Quiescent Power Consumer could be negligible as usually is in milli-watts. However, keep a check on the Maximum Power consumer specification as ultimately this need to be borne by you in terms of energy consumed. While, not forgetting our small contribution for a Greener world in terms of Energy savings. Power Consumption of similar functional Competitive Products should always be compared before arriving at a decision. This specification is always important in case the Product under consideration will be on UPS/Inverter during Power off Scenarios.
 

6. ROHS (Restriction Of Hazardous Substances) Compliance for Electronics Products.

This is a mandate in the EU and few substances are not allowed to be included in manufacturing Consumer Electronic Products. These substances may find their place inside the ICs and on the Printed Circuit Board of the Product under consideration and ROHS Compliance is like a certification by the Manufacturer about these not being present. These substances Lead, Mercury, Hexavalent Chromium, Cadmium, PBB and PBDE can cause severe health conditions affecting body organs like Brain, Kidney etc and so it's important to give a check before arriving at a decision. Most known brands would comply with this compliance, yet it's important to check ROHS compliance for specific Product categories say for a UPS or an Inverter.
 

7. Depreciation.

Yes, your product just depreciated faster than you thought and the value eroded within no time. An item that costed you $2000 last year is priced at $1000 the same time this year. Now, that is 50% decrease in value. With so much competition, manufacturers are forced to release products rapidly, hitting mostly the consumer when the product doesn't work or works with diminished quality. Being first is innovative, yet not a great choice for the consumer as he is the beta tester for the manufacturer to come out with next improved generations and Product versions.
 

8. Insurance.

Consumer Electronics Insurance might be common in few countries and not so common in few others. The insurance companies cover your product for a wide range of things
like Electrical and Mechanical failure, accidental damage and defects in workmanship. Specific coverage depends on the plan you purchase, so check on all the features and benefits you are entitled to at the time of claiming the damage.

Comments

  1. That's why I always wait to buy something. I don't want to be the first because I know if I wait a little it probably go down in price and I won't have to pay so much for it. Also I think sometimes people want to buy name brand so badly but if you look at non name brand you may find good deals money wise and also in quality (not always but sometimes).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You for the informative content. I didn't know some of the things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Power consumption, that's the one for me. You don't realise how efficient or inefficient electricals can be. Thanks for the great read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing blog and very helpful information. keep sharing such a nice content.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super useful blog post - I'm bookmarking this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not really good at buying electronic devices so I think that this post will be really useful for me in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really important information to know and think about before buying anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good point about the obsolete and end of life products! I wouldn't think to check when an electronic was at the end of its life. Now I will before I purchase an older generation product. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite helpful, thanks.
    It must be noted that a lot of compliance issues are often summarized by a graphic mark on the product - finding a good guide to compliance marks is absolutely necessary, as often marks change from country to country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Davide, it's always better to go with certified products.
      Thanks for the mention, there are many that covers EMI/EMC, regulatory etc, even certified ports is a must check. For example always go for a certified USB/HDMI Cable that works in all scenarios etc.

      Delete
  10. This is helpful. I always feel a little overwhelmed when going to buy a new electronic. I'll definitely reference this list next time it's time to go electronics shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked this article, very useful and something that everyone should read! Keep up the good work! :-)
    https://byveera.blogspot.fi/2017/04/juice-it-up.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  12. Helpful post...now a days so electronics devices are produced by various companies; small and big.So your write up helps us to choose rightly

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like to wait too, I know that if something was meant to be purchased then it will decrease in value for me. Well thought out post x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very helpful! While I usually buy my things new, I also make sure to not buy the first new model/generation as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I learn something new every time I visit your blog! I've never thought about insurance for my electronics (outside of general homeowner's insurance). Also power consumption. It's the things that we don't think about that can bite us the hardest sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow this is so handy! I'm all over it when it comes to warranty and extended warranty, but I had no idea about most of the other points covered here. Thanks for sharing!

    Christie's Take on Life. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great advice! I learned so much from this article about purchasing electronics, especially warranties. Much of this stuff I was unfamiliar with.

    Beth || www.TheStyleBouquet.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very helpful! Buying electronics is always such a task! I always end up asking someone else to do it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to bookmark that. When it comes to fashion I am the most conscious buyer, but electronics are a different story. I really need to memorize your key points. Thank you so much for sharing,finally a truly helpful post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. When we buy a new TV, we always check out the warranty. Just in case. And we always buy on sale because of depreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The warranty, turn around time, extended warranty are very important to take note of. These pieces of information are usually part of the "fine print" so we must ask about this first before deciding to buy or not.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The only thing that I look for is the warranty. I never realized that there were so many other things to consider, too. Knowing the TAT is important as I have realized with time. Great list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a very informative post. I never thought about the turn around time when purchasing electronics.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is definitely good information to know. I learned something new today "TAT" . I'll be keeping a good eye out for that.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for this list. I'm just about to buy a new laptop and hadn't even thought of half the things here. I knew about warranty but not about TAT.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a valid point raised, had never ever thought about it. If I am loyal to the brand have even purchased products at the launch date. Will have to keep it in mind next time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those are great things to know for sure. I think that too many companies are into planned obsolescence. They want things to fail so you have to purchase from them again.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am looking to buy a new TV and I at times can forget to check the simplest of things such as warranty, but with this gentle reminder and great guide I certainly won't be.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Helpful post, Thanks for sharing the important points it will help us while buying electronic products.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for this very informative content. These are things that I often overlook shen buying consumer electronics. Now, I have to remember these the next time I shop. Although I do wait for prices to go down before buying items.

    ReplyDelete
  31. When I buy something the first thing I ask is about the warranty. Many give some great prices for something and then they say it has only six months warranty, which makes me to step back and don't buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Right a lot of pointers here I would not have even thought of when buying any electronic goods. The power consumption point is a very important one and I certainly wouldn't have ever thought about it until now that you mention it.. I am all for a greener environment and therefore this point is especially important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Power consumption is very important to me and finding great products that are going to last.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This article is very useful, especially to those that are like me. I can`t live without my gadgets but I am not very good at choosing the right ones, so I always ask someone to choose the right ones for me.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I would add patching and development to the list. Manufacturers often release products with functional and security flaws which they do not test for and do not patch afterwards leaving you with an insecure/broken product. That problem is getting worse and worse the more we get into IoT and interconnect every aspect of our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is a helpful post. I didn't know such things were there. And thank you, you thought me something important.

    ReplyDelete
  37. These are great questions to ask when buying any product!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lots of great points here! I also try to buy one model below the newest because it's cheaper but still good :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I work in E-Commerce and it's very important to know what you are getting into before you buy online. Especially when it comes to a delicate and pricey piece of electronics. I just wish all customers took the time to read this before they purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I had never considered Depreciation as part of the electronics buying process, but your soooooo right. We tend to not re-sell our electronics (kids tend to break things before they can get resold) but if we ever were to want to sell in order to buy a newer version this would be important to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  41. You are right that many of those go overlooked. My husband is always in charge buying electronics and he makes sure to look at many of the points you listed. I know for us how long an electronic will last is important to us so looking at the life of a product and making sure to get all warranties on it so we can make it last longer is very helpful. These are definitely great points for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow, I never thought to consider the amount of powder an electronic device consumes! That's so smart! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  43. wow love the post and you have good points and really got me thinking because I never think about all that , I just buy.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Very helpful advice. We spend a long time comparing prices and specification but often give little thought to some of these factors that you mention above so thanks for pointing them out

    ReplyDelete
  45. Great blog! very useful information.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Great tips and well written article. The power an electric device consumes is one that fact that we mostly take for granted and it contributes a lot to the electricity bill.

    ReplyDelete
  47. These are all great tips, and I think it's really important to know all of these when you are buying products since electronics are a must so... thank you! www.clairebearblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. Very helpful! Will consider these before my next trip to Best Buy!

    - Shawntel Bethea
    MoreSpoons.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Touch Mobile Phone Market at your Finger Tips.

Digital Compact Camera Market at your Finger Tips

Television Market at Your Finger Tips

What you need to know about your Mobile Phone & before buying a New One

World Business Laptop Market at Your Fingertips

Buying Wireless Router made Simple - What Buying Guides will not tell you.

Buying Digital Compact Camera made Simple

Small Business Laptop Market at Your Fingertips

Gaming Laptop Market at Your Fingertips